The James Stewart Chapter was organized in Heard County in 2000.  The first meetings were held in the Glenn Community, but were officially moved to Franklin in 2003.

The chapter meets once a month from September through May.

Heard County is a small, mostly rural county in the western part of Georgia on the Georgia – Alabama line.  It was created on December 22, 1830.   As of 2000, the population was 11,012.   The 2007 Census Estimate shows a population of 11,387.   The city of Franklin is the county seat. It has one high school, one middle school, and three elementary schools.